Our commitment to reducing and managing our environmental impact goes beyond regulatory and legal requirements. We strive to be proactive in minimising our footprint on the planet and have a policy of continual review and improvement in order to achieve this aim.
We believe that the rental concept, which is the basis of our business, naturally lends itself to promoting reuse and sustainability, since the equipment is used more efficiently, multiple times over rather than being for sole or single use. With the rental model being fundamental to our business, it also informs our thinking and actions towards having
an effective and successful environmental strategy.
Our approach to protecting the environment is pragmatic and sensitive. We aim is to lead in terms of implementation within our peer group in all elements of the business cycle to continually reduce impact as the business continues to grow.
It is a policy of Shoot Blue to:
- Reduce unnecessary waste within the business and provide recycling facilities where possible.
- Seek out and implement sustainable, environmentally friendly alternatives to using non-recyclable or single-use materials.
- Invest in new technologies and working practices that are energy and resource efficient..
- Always attempt to repair or reuse faulty and damaged equipment rather than outright disposal. And encourage the reuse and upcycling of equipment/materials that have reached the end of their economic life.
- Promote and communicate our environmental strategy to our staff, suppliers, clients and, where possible, the wider production community.
- Integrate our environmental management policies and practices into every level and department within the business.
- Review our environmental policy quarterly, keeping it in line with current ‘best practice’, guidelines and legislation.
Some of the practical steps we have taken (and are currently introducing) with regard to minimising our environmental impact:
- Our premises are powered by 100% renewable electricity (supplied by Good Energy)
- We have installed energy efficient LED lighting throughout our offices and warehouse areas. This also includes motion sensor switching to further conserve energy where possible.
- Shoot Blue has invested in the latest LED film lighting technology and actively promoted this to our rental clients.
- We also stock a wide range of LED lights that have ‘RGB’ colour technology which reduces the need for conventional plastic-based colour gels.
- All of our company delivery vehicles are compliant with the London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ).
- We have an all-electric delivery van which is used for deliveries within the London geographic area which mitigates the use of conventional delivery vehicles.
- We have installed a dual outlet electric vehicle charging point at our premises which is used for our own electric vehicles and also made available free-of-charge to our clients/visitors.
- We actively discourage printing of paper documents where possible and all paper supplies we purchase are produced exclusively from recycled material.
- When new equipment is delivered to us from manufacturers, we strongly encourage reuse of packaging material (such as cardboard) within the business rather than disposal.
- Equipment that is deemed ‘end-of-life’ for our rental operations (often broken, damaged or outdated equipment) is actively disposed of in the second-hand market (such as sold on eBay or similar marketplaces) so that it may have
an extended lifespan. Items that we are unable to sell are offered to staff and clients (‘Freecycled’) and we also salvage any usable parts/components before equipment is recycled via conventional means.
- For any remaining electronic/electrical equipment that we are unable to recycle in methods described above, we use a WEEE-compliant recycling service to dispose of these items. All items disposed of in this way are documented.
- Like most rental companies, we stock a significant number of rechargeable Lithium batteries for cameras, lighting and other portable equipment. We recently selected a new battery supplier who is able to repair faulty/damaged batteries as opposed to outright disposal of the entire unit.
- We have multiple recycling points throughout our premises and we have sought to minimise the use of non-recyclable waste bins within the company as much as possible.
- We have introduced biodegradable bin liners for waste that cannot be recycled.
- We have installed an air-compressor for cleaning equipment which has removed the need to use canned compressed air within the business.
- In order to reduce the use of plastic water bottles by staff and visitors, we have installed a water purification system to provide filtered water.
- Our employees are encouraged to support our environmental initiatives and provide feedback and suggestions that we can implement to improve our policies. New environmental initiatives are actively communicated with our workforce and staff are encouraged to participate in developing and supporting these initiatives.
- We have phased out most single-use plastics within our business and have replaced them with biodegradable and reusable alternatives. For example, glass filters and video cables are no longer heat-sealed in plastic wrappers but are now sealed with a compostable sticker to indicate it has been checked and without defect.
- We recently introduced reusable ‘Rip-Tie’ velcro cable organisers (which are designed to last 10,000 cycles) which have replaced single-use plastic tapes and packaging within our company.
- We use a website & email hosting provider (Krystal) that uses 100% renewable energy.
- We are signatories of the rental house ‘Green Pledge’ initiative – find out more here
Dated: 29 June 2020
Next Review Due: 1 August 2020